This year, the Women’s Center at UMBC updated our mission statement and guiding principles. As our center grows and changes, so too must our goals and social justice focus.
The Women’s Center at UMBC advances gender equity from an intersectional feminist perspective through co-curricular programming, support services, and advocacy for marginalized individuals and communities. We prioritize critical social justice as our community value, with a deliberate focus on women, gender, anti-racism, and feminism.
All are welcome as long as they respect women. Their experiences. Their stories. Their potential.
- We will encourage authentic dialogues among students, faculty, and staff to facilitate consciousness-raising, transformative learning, and self-determination.
- We will embody our commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and social justice in our operation, staffing, and programming.
- We will operate from a holistic and non-hierarchical anti-violence framework.
- We will challenge the barriers that reinforce inequity and oppression impacting our university and broader communities.
- We will cultivate women’s empowerment, involvement, and leadership in all aspects of university life.
Our Leading Priorities
- Advance gender equity and an inclusive campus climate
- Support student success and community well-being for women and marginalized people
- Sustain and strengthen social justice education and engagement
- Cultivate a survivor-responsive campus as a means to address sexual violence