Critical Social Justice is a multifaceted and interdisciplinary programming initiative coordinated by the Women’s Center which aims to explore social justice both in theory and practice from academic, activist, and artistic perspectives.
CSJ has always been an opportunity to bring our campus community together to spark innovative ideas, inspire creative inquiry, and begin new collaborations. In addition to exploring what unites us, we want to create space to look at what separates us and how we can bridge those expanses.
We hope to continue to grow the inclusivity of CSJ by helping more people feel welcome and comfortable engaging in challenging conversations about equity and justice, across all racial and ethnic identities, genders, sexualities, political ideologies, academic fields, and life experiences. From dancers to coders, from seasoned activists to those looking for ways to begin impacting change around their passions, CSJ can be for all of us.
Throughout CSJ week, participants explore how to harness partnership to achieve things that may be out of our reach as individuals. How can we use our strengths, and learn from our challenges, to become the community we want to be — one that truly exemplifies inclusive excellence?
Follow our blog and myUMBC page for updates on scheduled events and other news. For more information about the Critical Social Justice initiative, or if you’re organizing a related event that might be included on the CSJ calendar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Critical Social Justice themes:
- Critical Social Justice: Engaging in Difficult Dialogues – March 3rd through 7th, 2014; our inaugural year
- Critical Social Justice: Creating Brave Spaces – February 16th through 20th, 2015
- Critical Social Justice: Baltimore 365 – October 18th through 23rd, 2015 (check out this photo recap!)
- Critical Social Justice: Home – October 24th through 28th, 2016 (check out our round-up summary!)
- Critical Social Justice: Rise – October 23rd through 27th, 2017 (check out our round-up summary!)
- Critical Social Justice: Ignite – October 22nd through 26th, 2018 (check out our round-up summary!)
- Critical Social Justice: Disability Justice + Access Matters – year-round for the 2021-2022 academic year!