Topic: We're Not Done Yet
Date & Time
December 13, 2021, 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
This year, CSJ: Disability Justice + Access Matters invites our campus community to learn from a perspective of disability justice so that we can continue to make space for everybody and every body now and in the future. Learn more about the Critical Social Justice: Disability Justice + Access Matters theme here.For more CSJ events, check out our website and myUMBC. For more information about upcoming events or to inquire about collaboration, please email the Women’s Center at email@example.com.
From November to January, the Women's Center is hosting our Critical Social Justice: Disability Justice Reading Group. All of our readings will be sent out each month and participants are invited to join us for monthly discussions!
The topic of our second meeting is "We're Not Done Yet." Referring to Judith Heumann's TED Talk as well as the activist work of Not Dead Yet, these readings and this discussion will explore the work that still needs to be done, especially when it comes to understanding and honoring the intrinsic worth of every disabled person. The readings will trace the intersections of disability with other social identities and social justice issues.
- Judith Heumann, “TED Talk: Our fight for disability rights and why we’re not done yet,” 2016, video and transcript accessible here
- Jeremy Woody as told to Christie Thompson, "The Isolation of Being Deaf in Prison," published in Disability Visibility, 2020(scan available here on Box)
- Jen Deerinwater, "The Erasure of Indigenous People in Chronic Illness," published in Disability Visibility, 2020 (scan available here on Box)
- Elsa R. Sjunneson, "My Life Has Quality," 2020, originally published and available on on Disability Visibility Project blog
- Britney Wilson and Lucy Treishmann interviewed by Leah Todd for The Activist Podcast, "Episode 43: The Power of Art: Talking Disability Justice and Movements for Liberation," 2021, audio and transcript available here
All of our CSJ 2021 events for the fall are virtual and open to all!
CSJ 2021: December Reading Club Discussion
Monday, December 13 · 1:00 – 2:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/syo-xcvq-uze
Or dial: (US) +1 801-576-1531 PIN: 386 873 601#
This discussion group will be hosted through Google Meet. If this platform presents accessibility challenges for you, please be in touch so we can consult on the best ways to make this experience accessible for you.
Please note: UMBC is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive environment for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. If you have difficulties accessing any of the materials on our site or any of our events or discussions, please contact us so that we can provide an alternative format and/or remedy any accessibility challenges.